- Understand the impact of a hypotonic maintenance strategy on electrolyte the occurrence of hyponatraemia and hypernatraemia
- Understand the impact of a hypotonic maintenance strategy on electrolyte the occurrence of hyperchloremia
- Learn why this is important on a clinical level
1. To learn about the NICE intravenous fluid guidelines and their application
2. To understand how pharmacy and electrolyte data may be used to track a major change in practice
3. To appreciate that in any observational study it is important to be aware of other changes occurring in the hospital environment.
Take home messages:
1. Fluid guidelines can be introduced across a whole hospital and nation but it takes time and effort
2. Along with improving fluid prescription it is necessary to improve fluid balance charting and attention to hydration.
3. Reducing saline use reduces acidosis; using low sodium maintenance fluids does not adversely affect electrolyte balance.
Unfortunately I haven't published anything on this yet! Getting there.